• our brands
Menu

Our History

1904

Word begins to spread throughout Germany about a 'people's car'

1925

The basic design for early Volkswagen was conceived

1938

The nickname 'beetle' is used for the first time by the New York Times

1950

The Motor Distributors Limited (MDL) acquired the rights to import Volkswagens to Ireland and by 1952 sales had increased from 46 to 2155 cars

1954

The first Volkswagen Beetles ever built outside Germany were assembled in Dublin

1956

Volkswagen sales impact on Ireland’s balance of payments causing concern in Dail Eireann

1967

MDL acquired the rights to import and distribute Audi

1993

MDL acquired the rights to import and distribute Skoda

2008

Volkswagen AG set up Volkswagen Group Ireland (VWG Ireland) to take direct control of the import and distribution of Volkswagen, Audi, and Skoda, relocating from Naas Road to a new Head Office at Liffey Valley

2009

VWG Ireland took control of the import and distribution of Seat

2014

VWG Ireland brand sales have risen to 1 in 4 new cars and 1 in 5 new vans